Vlad Skvortsov's Blog

Tags
cyrillic ditrack gtd guitar mac music pdf phd postscript productivity programming projects python r russian shell terminal tex tips utf-8 wadcomblog

My name is Vlad Skvortsov, I'm a software engineer: it's my job, hobby and addiction.

My primary interests include high-performance, scalable, fault-tolerant distributed systems; server-side applications; information retrieval technologies; procedural aspects of software engineering process.

I work on several private and open-source projects, hacking in Python, Haskell, Erlang, Perl and C.

Guitar, hiking, ice hockey and other hobbies help me to balance my life.

My e-mail is vss@73rus.com.

The Blog Engine Rewritten

Jan 14 2007, 23:15 permalink
Tags: projects

Today, half a year later after I've started the blog, I have spent several hours to rewrite the engine from scratch. Most important changes include tags, proper entry sorting on index pages and better internal organization of the engine itself.

It is my deep belief that a great deal of web content should be static. Static content is simplier in many aspects: it's easier to generate, easier to serve, (often) easier to refer to. So, following the golden design rule ("a design is good not when there is nothing to add, but when there is nothing to remove"), I conclude that a blog is one of things perfectly suited to be static.

That's my basic idea. Another one is that everything needs to be versioned. History is invaluable. I have much to say about this too, but it's a topic for another essay, so let's move on for now. History for static content can be perfectly maintained by Subversion, so I use it to store my blog contents.

Since I fairly believe there is someone else in the void sharing the same thoughts, today I've made a step to "productize" the blog engine. That is, I've rewritten it from scratch. Now it's not just a prototype (what it used to be until now), but a real peace of software (yes, it even handles errors!). Anyone interested to try it out is welcome to send me an email to request the script (it's in Python). There are still things to be done to make it into a distributive. And yes, I've named the beast WadcomBlog.

As for the changes, the first is the addition of tags (there are still categories, but tags also may be present). There is no tag menu on the page yet (yuck!), but it's coming next. Another fix is a proper reverse-time sorting for published entries. And the last but not least is ability to comment, provided by the neat JS-Kit package (kudos to Lev!).

That's it for now, and I hope to be posing more soon!